Okocat Natural Wood clumping cat litter, the earth-friendly cat litter
Main ingredient: Wood chips (or paper materials, depending on the type)
Where to buy: Only Natural Pet
Click on image for details
For cat owners who want to stay away from traditional clay litters Okocat offers a different type of cat litter made from 100 % wood or paper materials, that is reclaimed and recycled materials.
The fibers of the wood chips can bind and trap liquids easily which makes this cat litter super absorbent. And it doesn’t only bind the cat urine as good as any traditional clay litter, it also blocks odors successfully for several days without the use of artificial scents and chemical additives.
Besides using natural materials only, Okocat cat litter is biodegradable. Since it does not contain chemical additives or otherwise toxic materials, it can be easily disposed of without damaging the environment. Just think of the amount of clay/silica cat litter that ends up on landfills.
By the way, Okocat litter claims to be flushable when it comes to disposing of used litter, which seems to be another practical advantage when using this product. The only thing is we are not supposed to flush cat litter down the toilet, see my article “How to find non-toxic and natural cat litter”.
Here are the main benefits when using Okocat:
- It is made from renewable materials (wood chips or paper pellets), which makes it eco-friendly and biodegradable.
- It is highly moisture absorbent and keeps odors at bay, even if the litter box is not emptied regularly.
No synthetic scents or perfumes, no additives that are harmful to cats. Litter has a pleasant light woodsy smell.
- Okocat is a clumping litter and can be easily dumped and sifted (Note: scoops with larger slots are best for this type).
- This litter doesn’t cling to cat’s paws as much as other litters might.
- Here is another feature I like: The packaging is made from cardboard instead of plastic, therefore eco-friendly. This litter is lightweight and easy to carry and has a spout for pouring out the litter. I really dislike having to lift heavy litter boxes …
Drawbacks when using Okocat Wood Clumping litter
The main complaint I have when using this type of litter is that it leaves tracks of wood pellets over the house. This seems especially true when you have a long-haired cat, since the wood pieces may stick to her hair. But OKOCAT has a litter option for long-hair cat breeds.
If you use a sifter or litter scoop with small slots, the wood pieces in this OKOCAT version might be too large, that means in this case scooping might be harder.
OKOCAT claims to be almost dust-free, but after scooping the litter box out for several times there will be a dust cloud, since the wood pieces break apart into smaller pieces. So, if you suffer from allergies, this kind of litter might not be the best option.
In this case, you might consider OKOCAT NATURAL PAPER CAT LITTER, which is virtually dust-free and for people who suffer from allergies.
By the way, OKOCAT is a biodegradable product, but the manufacturer states it is not really recommended putting it in the compost bin.
If you are a pet owner who is looking for a high-quality cat litter made only from natural ingredients and, at the same time, you want to be environmentally responsible, this could be the right cat litter for you. Great for people who want to get away from the traditional clay litter and who are not afraid to try something new. But most important, let your cat try it and see if she likes
Dr Elsey Cat Attract cat litter
Ingredients: Sodium Bentonite clay mixed with natural herbal ingredients
Where to buy: Only Natural Pet
Click on image for details
This litter is made from high quality clay (sodium bentonite) and not mixed with other cheap clay. It’s main feature is it’s highly clumping ability.
DR ELSEY CAT LITTER was developed by Dr. Bruce Elsey, a veterinarian with many years of experience when it comes to cat behavior.
The critiques of clumping clay litter are worried that it may not be safe for cats, if ingested it could damage the intestinal tract. On Dr. Elsey’s website he states that in his many years of veterinarian experience there has never been a cat in his office that had a health problem due to clumping clay, and in his opinion clumping clay litter is fairly safe.
Key features of Dr. Elsey Cat Attract litter
- Litter is extremely moisture absorbent and forms hard clumps. This makes it easy to sift and scoop up and it is ideal for mechanical litter boxes.
- High quality clay mixed with natural herbal scents to attract cats to the litter box.
- Very effective when it comes to odor control, even with several cats using the same litter box.
- It is supposed to be 99% dust-free, but in reality there is still some dust noted when changing the litter. But it is still less dust ( and less irritating to allergies) than other litter products.
- Another great benefit: this litter causes very little tracking when your cat steps out of the litter box. After all, who wants to clean after your pet all the time?
Problem cats love it
This is a great litter when it comes to cats that reject traditional litter. Especially adopted cats that try to fit in a new household seem to take to this litter easily, maybe because the special scents decrease their anxiety? It is also a good training litter for kitten, and because the clumps are rather small it doesn’t bother their sensitive paws.
There are not many, as far as I can tell.
Compared to other clay litters, Dr. Elsey’s cat litter is fairly high priced.
But I find that the saying “You get what you pay for” is still true, because high quality always costs more.
One of this litter’s main feature is that it clumps easily after the cat is done with her business. There is a downside to it, because when this clay litter gets in contact with too much cat urine, it can turn into very hard cement-like clumps that might require some effort to scoop up. Therefore: This litter is not flushable and it is not biodegradable!
Dr.Elsey’s Cat Attract litter is a high-quality clay litter with added natural herbal scents developed for cats who have trouble adapting to litter boxes. It is perfect for cat owners who do not want to give up clay litter but, concerned for their cat’s well-being, are looking for a superior cat litter that does not jeopardize the animal’s nor the owner’s health.
Naturally Fresh Multi-cat litter
(BY BLUE BUFFALO)
Main ingredients: Walnut shells
Where to buy: Only Natural Pet
Click on image for more details
This is another eco-friendly cat litter worth a try. It is a quick clumping cat litter made from a blend of walnut shells and its fibrous material is very efficient in absorbing moisture. The litter has a grainy consistency and it actually looks like coffee grounds.
It’s environmentally-friendly because it’s made from renewable sources (walnut shells) and does not have added chemicals or toxins. Since it only uses natural ingredients, it is not hazardous to your cat’s health.
And by the way, the walnuts are homegrown in the USA.
Some great features of Naturally Fresh cat litter
- Excellent clumping ability for easy scooping.
- It does a great job when it comes to odor control, not much of a lingering smell even after not emptying the litter box for a day or two.
- Since this litter is made of larger grains, they do not stick to kitty’s paws and hardly leave any tracks in the house.
- Litter has a smooth texture and no sharp pieces, cats with sensitive paws will like this.
- Since it is made from all natural materials, it is biodegradable and also compost-friendly, I even heard from somebody using the old litter as mulch for the yard. (Well, there better not be any dogs around!).
- Litter has no artificial smell but a nice natural earthy scent.
- The litter bags are fairly lightweight.
- Due to this litter’s superior moisture absorption, 1 bag equals 3 bags of conventional clay litter according to the package label, but one small bag of cat litter lasts about 1 month if the litter box is cleaned daily.
What I don’t like
Naturally Fresh Multi-Cat litter is supposed to be virtually dust-free.
There seems to be an inconsistency though when it comes to the quality of different bags of the same kind of cat litter. I have heard some pet owners complain that when pouring out the litter there is a dust cloud forming and there is also dust when scooping up the litter.
Since the litter has a brown color, the dust can be very annoying when it gets into your cat’s fur and paws and then leaves tracks on the carpet and sofa.
But I have also seen bags with almost no dust. I am not sure why there is a difference in the bags, but this seems to be the brand’s weak point.
Naturally Fresh cat litter claims to be a quick clumping litter and generally it clumps really well but the clumps are not as hard as with clay litter. When trying to scoop them up, the clumps tend to crumble into pieces and that can make cleaning up the litter box a little tedious.
My final thoughts
Naturally Fresh Multi-cat litter is a great alternative for people who want to try something else besides traditional clay litter and who want to shop environmentally-friendly products. It’s a versatile cat litter that is biodegradable, compost-friendly and lasts long.
If you don’t mind the dust it might produce and you don’t necessarily care for hard litter globs then this is a litter worth trying and worth it’s money.
Cats that are used to clay litter might take some time to warm up to it but just let your cat decide if she likes it.
Affiliate disclosure – I am an affiliate of many products promoted on this website and may earn a commission if you purchase something.